THE Bureau of Corrections yesterday bared that exactly 1,914 individuals convicted of heinous crimes were released from prison because of good conduct time allowance (GCTA).
BuCor legal division chief Frederic Anthony Santos revealed this during a press briefing.
The breakdown was as follows:
1. Murder (797)
2. Rape (758)
3. Robbery with violence (274)
4. Violation of the Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 (48)
5. Parricide (29)
6. Kidnapping with illegal detention (5)
7. Destructive arson (3).
Asked what would happen to them in case the newly-formed joint committee, which was tasked to review the Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act 10592, ruled to exclude heinous crime offenders from the coverage of the GCTA, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said: “We have to study and discuss that issue very carefully and thoroughly. (It’s) not prudent to answer an important question like that without much thought.”
Earlier, a joint committee between the Department of Justice and Department of Interior and Local Government was created to review the IRR, and Uniform Policy and Guidelines on the computation of credits and allowances under RA 10592.
Also under Joint Department Order 001, the processing and computation of credits and allowances for prisoners was suspended for 10 working days.
The order was signed by Guevarra and Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año.
Under the order, a Justice undersecretary will be named chairman, while an undersecretary from the DILG will be designated as co-chairman.
The joint committee was given 10 days to submit a report.
The issue on the good conduct time allowance started after former Calauan mayor Antonio Sanchez was reported up for an early release last week.
Sanchez was convicted for the 1993 rape and murder of University of the Philippines Los Baños student Eileen Sarmenta and her schoolmate Allan Gomez.
Chinese drug lords
Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson revealed that at least four Chinese drug lords were released by the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) in June this year.
During the interview by Senate media, Lacson said he got a report that said some convicts were released recently from the New Bilibid Prisons and found out that at least four of them were convicted Chinese drug lords.
“Actually, they were released to the custody of the Bureau of Immigration for possible deportation but these are convicted Chinese drug lords that have already been released… all these Chinese drug lords have been convicted for violation of the illegal drug laws,” Lacson said.
Lacson said the four were from Building 14, Maximum Security Compound and were transferred to Bureau of Immigration and Deportation.
However he did not say if the four were released due to the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law.
Lacson said he also asked for a list of those set to be released on August 20, which supposedly included convicted rapist-murderer Antonio Sanchez, but he was told that the list was missing.
“We are trying to look for a copy of the August 20 release order in favor of Mayor Sanchez but apparently nawawala ang kopya,” he said.