Imelda posts bail

November 16, 2018

THE Sandiganbayan yesterday allowed former First Lady and Ilocos Norte Representative Imelda Marcos to post bail for seven counts of graft.

Marcos, accompanied by his children Ilocos Gov. Imee Marcos and former Sen. Bongbong Marcos, submitted herself to the Sandiganbayan Fifth Division and  paid a total of P150,000 bond  for her temporary liberty.

Last week, the Fifth Division convicted Mrs. Marcos for seven counts of graft in connection with the creation of seven private organizations or foundations in Switzerland in order to transfer ill-gotten wealth. Some $200 million in public funds was said to be involved in the scheme.

The 89-year-old solon was sentenced to 6 to 11 years in jail  for every case and perpetual disqualification from holding office.

Fifth Division chairperson Associate Justice Rafael clarified that the bail is only good until the Sandiganbayan rules on Marcos’ motion.

“We will order her to post bond in the original bond. It’s about P150,000,” Lagos said.

According to Lagos, the Marcos camp will only await two rulings from the Sandiganbayan — either an approval of the motion and its ensuing order compelling her to post a P300,000 bail, or a denial and a warrant of arrest.

“If we approve, we will order her to post bail double the amount. If we deny, then wala na, we will issue a warrant,” he said.

The Marcos family left the Sandiganbayan around 11:18 a.m. after the approval of her bail. No media interviews were granted.

Other members of the family present at the proceedings were Irene Marcos, grandchildren Borgy and Mike Manotoc, and Luis Araneta.

During the promulgation, Mrs. Marcos and even her lawyers were not present.

In a motion filed earlier, Mrs. Marcos explained her absence saying she is suffering from multiple organ infirmities, the reason why she failed to attend her promulgation.