THE National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) yesterday reported that the death toll from the onslaught of typhoon Ulysses has risen to 67 .
NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said that of the said number of fatalities, 22 were from Cagayan Valley Region, two from Central Luzon, 17 from Calabarzon, eight from Bicol Region, 10 from Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), and eight from the National Capital Region (NCR).
Timbal said 12 people were also reported missing, eight of which are from Bicol Bicol Region, three from NCR, and one from Calabarzon.
As of the latest count, 21 individuals were injured during the onslaught of Ulysses, nine were from Calabarzon, eight from Bicol Region, three from Central Luzon, and one from CAR.
The cost of damage to agriculture is recorded at P1.19 billion, while infrastructure damage amounts to P469.7 million.
Meanwhile, the number of damaged houses from the typhoon rose to 25,852.
It can be recalled that typhoon Ulysses exited the Philippine Area of Responsibility of Friday morning.
With rescue operations already underway in Marikina City and several provinces, including Pampanga, word came of massive flooding in the provinces of Cagayan and Isabela, due in part to the release of water from Magat Dam and other reservoirs after the typhoon.
While Malacañang denied that it had been caught off-guard by the flooding in Cagayan and Isabela, relief and rescue efforts were mobilized by the public, the Philippine Coast Guard, the Navy, and Vice President Leni Robredo, who coordinated rescue efforts with the Army and the Marines.
President Rodrigo Duterte is scheduled to visit Cagayan on Sunday, while Robredo has already reached the province on Sunday morning to give relief goods.
The President encouraged Filipinos on Saturday, saying, “Kaya natin ito, ilang pahirap na ng panahon… Babangon din tayo, mahirap pero alam mo naman ang Pilipino, alam niyang tumindig uli,” he added.