No more gov’t post for Faeldon

September 10, 2019

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte said he is not inclined to give Nicanor Faeldon a new government post after firing him as Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief.

Duterte was quick to add, however, that he does not see Faeldon, a former military man, as a dishonest official.

Asked by Marisol Abdurahman in her exclusive report on GMA News’ 24 Oras if Faeldon will get a new post, Duterte said, “No, I don’t think so. He has had enough of controversies in his... in the last few years.”

“But I still believe... I do not believe he is dishonest,” the president added.

Duterte fired Faeldon last week amid the controversy involving the early release of heinous crime convicts.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has appointed BuCor deputy director general Melvin Ramon Buenafe as officer-in-charge.

Questions have swirled whether Faeldon will get a new post after Duterte said he still believes in the former military officer.

Faeldon was one of Duterte’s first appointments, taking the key post as commissioner of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) in June 2016.  A year later, he would find himself embroiled in a controversy after P6.4-billion worth of shabu that managed to slip past Customs.

Faeldon resigned in August 2017, but was later given another government post by Duterte as deputy administrator at the Office of Civil Defense.  After a few months, he was appointed as director general of the BuCor.