Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said that a formal investigation will be launched to find out if National Youth Commission head Ronald Cardema had presided over commission meetings even after filing a substitution-petition before the Commission on Elections for party-list Duterte Youth.
Guevarra issued the statement after Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo asked the DoJ to conduct an inquiry into the matter, and if Cardema may have possibly violated civil service and other pertinent laws.
“Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo requested the DoJ this morning to look into this matter and evaluate if charges may be filed against Ronald Cardema. The DoJ will start by gathering the relevant facts,” Guevarra said.
Cardema, a known diehard supporter of President Duterte, was appointed head of the NYC last year. He replaced singer-actor Ice Seguerra, who resigned for “personal reasons.”
He recently hogged the headlines after Duterte Youth nominees withdrew their nominations to allow Cardema to file a substitution petition to fill the vacancy.
Just the other day, election lawyer Romulo Macalintal said that nominees of party-list Duterte Youth who may have won in the last party-list election should take the oath and follow the line of succession or face liability under the Revised Penal Code.
“The penalty of arresto mayor or a fine not exceeding 1,000 pesos, or both, shall be imposed upon any person who, having been elected by popular election to a public office, shall refuse without legal motive to be sworn in or to discharge the duties of said office,” Atty. Romulo Macalintal said Monday.