Palace open to disaster rehab body proposal

January 19, 2020

MALACANANG yesterday said it is open to studying the creation of a commission that would oversee the rehabilitation of areas in Batangas and Cavite that have been ravaged by Taal Volcano’s eruption.

“Lahat ng magagandang proposal ay pag-aaralan natin at ipapatupad natin kung ito ay makakabuti sa ating mga kababayan (All good suggestions will be studied and implemented if it will help our countrymen),” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said over Radyo Inquirer.

This was in response to Senate Pro-Tempore Ralph Recto’s plan to file a bill creating the commission, similar to the Pinatubo Commission that helped victims of the destructive eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in 1991.

Panelo said it is up to President Rodrigo Duterte whether or not he would certify the bill as urgent once it is filed.

But the Palace official dismissed the thought of forming a task force that would deal with the current situation triggered by Taal Volcano’s eruption, saying that everything so far is “in place.”

He added Duterte was pleased with how concerned government agencies handle the situation, and that the government is ready for a hazardous eruption.

“It may or may not [erupt]. But what is important is we’re ready for it. Hopefully not so destructive,” said Panelo.