Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 5) — The country’s coronavirus tally moved closer to 390,000 on Thursday, as the Department of Health reported that 1,594 more people got infected.
The nationwide count now stands at 389,725, of which 32,773 or 8.4 percent are currently ill patients.
Ten testing laboratories failed to submit their reports on time and were not yet included in the updated count, the DOH said.
The latest case report listed the City of Manila as the top contributing area nationwide in terms of new cases after it logged 253 more infected residents. This is followed by Cavite with 126, Davao City and Rizal province with 78 each, and Quezon City with 73.
The department added that 468 more patients have beaten the virus, bringing the recovery tally to 349,543. This represents nearly 90 percent of the total cases.
However, there were 42 new fatalities, raising the death toll to 7,409.
The DOH said it removed six duplicates from the overall count and reclassified as deaths 14 cases mistakenly reported as recoveries.
On Wednesday, it said the public may expect a decrease in the new cases reported daily due to the effects of Typhoon Rolly, which downed power supply and damaged facilities in a number of areas in Luzon over the weekend. It said comparatively low numbers may be seen in the next few days, but warned that this may be followed by a relative rise in succeeding reports.
The Department of Foreign Affairs also confirmed 30 new infections and seven more recoveries among overseas Filipinos.
Its data showed a total of 11,410 Filipinos abroad so far have been hit by the viral illness, including 7,364 who recovered and 828 who died.
Some 48.1 million people across the globe have been diagnosed with COVID-19, based on the Johns Hopkins University Tracker.
The global death toll has surpassed 1.2 million, while the recovery count is approaching 32 million. By CNN Philippines Staff