PNP intensifies POGO prostitution crackdown

January 31, 2020

PHILIPPINE National Police chief General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa  ordered a stepped-up crackdown against prostitution rings catering mostly to Chinese Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators  (POGO) workers as he urged the public  to provide them information that would lead to the identification and arrest of the human traffickers, including their “big bosses.”

Gamboa said the PNP Women and Children Protection Division will be leading the campaign in coordination with local police units specifically the National Capital Region Police Office, local government units and the Department of Social Welfare and Services.

Malacañang has ordered  Gamboa to  investigate reports that many prostitution rings which have rented hotels  in some parts of Metro Manila are catering to Chinese and other foreigners working for POGO companies in the country, many of them located in the southern part of the metropolis specifically Makati, Parañaque, Las Piñas and Pasay cities.

Scores of these prostitution rings secretly operating  with their high-paying clients being required to book online, have been raided by the police and the National Bureau of Investigation since late last year.

Gamboa also took strong exception to the theory of Senator Risa Hontiveros  that “personnel within our PNP” are colluding with syndicates and protecting groups involved in Chinese prostitution in the country.”

“In law enforcement and crime investigation, theories provide only speculative leads  as it compromises the element  of objectivity because there is a tendency to limit focus only on what the theory provides.

“It should interest the good senator to note that the PNP, through the WCPC, the CIDG and the local PNP Units have since been at the forefront  law enforcement efforts to suppress not only index crime incidents but also crimes against public morals including prostitution, gambling and illegal vices.

“The WCPC has been empowered even more with orders from the Chief PNP to lead the campaign against prostitution and trafficking of Filipino women, particularly by syndicated activities operated by foreign groups,” Gamboa explained.

NCRPO director Major General Debold M. Sinas yesterday said he has ordered a no-nonsense crackdown against these prostitution syndicates even as he guaranteed that any police officer found protecting the rings will be facing administrative and criminal charges.

“As the Regional Director, I can guarantee that the theory that there are personnel within our ranks who colludes with Chinese prostitution syndicates is an unvalidated assumption,” he said.

Sinas added that  it is customary for them to immediately validate any information sent to them regarding the presence of POGO prostitution rackets.

He said  on Tuesday evening, members of the Manila Special Mayor’s Reaction Team led by Major Rosalino P. Ibay assisted in the conduct of an on-the-spot inspection of the Zenki-Capo KTV Bar and Restaurant located at the basement of Lido de Paris Hotel in Ongpin Street, Sta. Cruz, Manila.

The inspectors from the Manila Bureau of Permits and Licensing Office and Manila Department of Social Welfare, joined by the police tam headed by Major Cicero Pura and Captain Edward Samonte, apprehended five male and 14 female employees of the KTV bar after they failed to present necessary city hall permits.

The officers took the 19 individuals to the Manila Police District headquarters for filing of appropriate charges, including violation of the Revenue Code of the City of Manila.

“The NCRPO is continuously  conducting several raids and operations against these kind of syndicates and up to this moment, we are ceaselessly working on intensifying our efforts to eradicate the proliferation of this prostitution syndicates,” Sinas said.

The NCRPO director stressed that they have already reinvigorated their internal cleansing program to cleanse their ranks of scalawags and erring members.

“We have a dedicated unit working on this and guaranteed, there is zero tolerance among our ranks and I will personally ensure that such personnel will be identified and made to suffer the consequences of their ill actions.

“Finally, I would like to appeal for cooperation from the general public to support our campaign against this syndicates and to immediately report suspicious activities going on in their areas,” Sinas said.