PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte orders prompt relief to quake areas

October 31, 2019
Rodrigo Duterte

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has ordered agencies to deliver immediate relief to the victims of the magnitude 6.5 earthquake that rocked parts of Mindanao yesterday , Malacañang said.

Duterte was in his hometown Davao City when the quake struck, with his house sustaining cracks in its walls and ceiling.

“The President is safe in his home in Davao and is closely monitoring the developments. The President considers all situations arising from natural disasters that have caused widespread destruction to lives and property a top concern,” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

Panelo also said Duterte might visit “worst-hit” areas. The Palace official did not elaborate.

“The President had directed all agencies and responsible local government units to provide the necessary assistance and immediate relief to those affected,” Panelo said.

Two strong quakes previously hit Mindanao, with the epicenter traced in Tulunan, Cotabato, this month, killing several people and damaging homes and buildings.