Home>News>Nation>Sinas: Probe ‘liabilities’ of Makati cops in Dacera case

Sinas: Probe ‘liabilities’ of Makati cops in Dacera case

PHILIPPINE National Police chief, General Debold M. Sinas yesterday said he has ordered the PNP Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management to conduct an inquiry into alleged lapses committed by the Makati City Police Station during its investigation into the case of the late 23-year old Philippine Airlines flight attendant Christine Dacera.

According to the top cop, he has instructed DIDM director, Major Gen. Marni C. Marcos Jr. to recommend to them before Wednesday their findings on any liabilities of the Makati City police on their investigation into the Dacera case. The Dacera family accused the Makati police of committing a number of lapses in the case investigation starting from the time they allowed the body of the victim to be embalmed in a local funeral parlor without first being subjected to an autopsy.

Gen. Sinas said that they will study the recommendations of the PNP-DIDM since they still he procedures and policies being followed to give their men a fair chance to air their side. The Dacera family has sought the removal of the Makati City police chief and a Crime Lab officer for alleged ‘gross negligence.’

National Capital Region Police Office director, Brigadier Gen. Vicente D. Danao Jr. said that immediately after a Makati City prosecutor issued a resolution ordering the ‘release for further investigation’ of three detained suspects in the case, Gen. Sinas ordered the creation of the Special Investigation Task Group Dacera.

“Since then, we have been collating pieces of evidence and statements from would-be key witnesses and waiting for the result of the forensic tests conducted by the PNP Crime Laboratory. These would all be submitted to the prosecutor during the preliminary investigation. If we can’t meet the deadline on January 13, we will ask the fiscal for an extension and it will be up for him to decide on whether to file a case or not,” said Danao.

The PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group is now the lead investigator in the case although they are under the supervision of Brig. Gen. Danao.

The Metro Manila police director said that City Garden Grand Hotel in Makati City is under investigation for violation of IATF health protocols and has been asked by the Makati City Hall and the Department of Health to answer the charges hurled against them this week.

Danao said that since the original case filed against the suspects is ‘rape with homicide,’ they are now collecting evidence to prove that the Makati City police was right in making the decision. “Ang fiscal na po ang magde-determine kung tama po ba ang nai-file na kaso,” he said.

The official said they also already in the process of establishing the full identities of the persons inside Room 2207 of the hotel where Dacera was reported to have joined people inside in a drinking binge.

“Hopefully we can get statements from key witnesses and with forensic evidence at hand, to include positive result sa forensics, magkakaroon tayo ng malakas na kaso. Right now, we’re waiting for the result of the Crime Lab examinations and we’re still hoping for the best result,” Brig. Gen. Danao said.

Gen. Sinas also denied netizens’ claims that the Dacera family was given a ‘VIP treatment’ by the police. He said that they simply offered the victim’s family the services of the Camp Crame Mortuary since many of her fellow PAL employees wanted to visit her wake before her remains were brought to General Santos City last week.

“We only offered a space sa Camp Crame at marami pong gustong dumalaw pero wala silang makuhang lugar. They just asked for a 2-hour viewing and their request was granted,” he said.

The PNP chief also said that many secured the arrival of the Daceras in General Santos City since the victim’s mom Sharon is a military reservist with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and she has many friends from both the Armed Forces and the PNP.

Gen. Sinas added that the CIDG subpoena powers remain on the case of the suspects summoned to air their side in connection with the Dacera case. In case they ignore the subpoena, they can be charged with direct contempt in court and once the court issues a warrant of arrest against them, they can be arrested, he said.

Publication Source :    People's Tonight
Alfred P. Dalizon
Author of the ‘Mamang Pulis’ series and Crame Files | A Journal Group reporter since 1988 and recipient of dozens of national awards from the PNP/DILG/PDEA/DDB/NAPOLCOM and the private sector | Winner of two (2) prestigious Catholic Mass Media Awards (CMMA) for Best Investigative Report | A Finalist for another CMMA Best Investigative Report | A 3-time Journal Group Employee and Top Reporter of the Year