Surrender deadline lapses tomorrow

September 17, 2019

AS the deadline for freed convicts loomed police yesterday assured the safety and security of convicts freed through Good Conduct Time Allowance who have been given until tomorrow by President Duterte to surrender or face arrest by law enforcement authorities.

“We are encouraging those who are yet to surrender to commit themselves to our police stations so that their names can be logged and they can be turned over to the Bureau of Corrections for their own safety,” said PNP acting spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Kimberly Molitas.

Primed by PNP chief General Oscar D. Albayalde, PNP tracker teams are now awaiting orders from the Department of Interior and Local Government and Department of Justice to bring in the remaining convicts.

“PNP teams are ready to be deployed to account for those who failed to surrender. They all have to be accounted for on orders of the President,” said the lady official.

The Palace on Monday reminded heinous crime convicts who were freed through the GCTA law to surrender on or before tomorrow or face arrest.

As of yesterday, a total of 612 convicts have surrendered out of the 1,914 heinous-crime convicts released through the GCTA law since 2014, Malacañang said citing figures from the Bureau of Corrections.

However, the PNP said that from September 4 up to 7 a.m. yesterday, it has recorded the surrender of 457 freed convicts including 74 from Mimaropa region; 50 from Central Visayas; 41 from Metro Manila; 40 from  Western Visayas; 39 from Ilocos-Pangasinan region;  36 from Cagayan Valley; 26 from Central Luzon; 32 from Calabarzon region; 21 from Bicol region; 24 from Western Mindanao; 21 from Northern Mindanao; 18 from Cordillera region; 14 from Caraga region; and 11 from Central Mindanao.

Of the total, 268 have already been turned over by the police to the BuCor. The PNP said that six of the freed convicts have been found to be deceased already while two were arrested, one each by the Police Regional Office 5 headed by Brigadier General Arnel B. Escobal and the PRO7 under Brig. Gen. Debold M. Sinas.

The convicts had been jailed for offenses ranging from rape, drugs, double murder, homicide, attempted homicide, violation of the anti-women and children violence act of 2014, homicide with rape, frustrate rape, robbery with double homicide, robbery with homicide and robbery with rape.

Gen. Albayalde said that those who will return to the custody of the government will have their GCTA application reviewed as President Duterte had ordered. The President said that if the freed convicts will be found to have really qualified for GCTA and underwent the strict process, they will be released.