Tracker teams to go after freed convicts

September 06, 2019
Eduardo Año

STARTING September 19, tracker teams will be deployed in several parts of the country to go after heinous crime convicts who were released through the controversial Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA), and the government could seek the help of the Interpol to bring back those who have gone abroad.

This was announced yesterday by Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año during the celebration of National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM)’s 53rd Anniversary.

Año attended the event along with some ranking officials of the DILG and NAPOLCOM headed by Vice Chairman and Executive Office Atty. Rogelio Casurao held at the DILG-NAPOLCOM building in Quezon City.

After the 15-day liberty period given by President Duterte, the so-called GCTA beneficiaries or the freed convicts as a result of good conduct are automatically considered as “fugitives.”

The police according to the DILG chief will immediately track those who will not surrender.

More than 10 of the total 1,914 heinous crimes convicts who availed themselves of the good conduct law have reportedly surrendered to the authorities.

When asked if any of the freed convicts have already gone abroad, Año said that the possibility is high.

“Palagay ko meron na...  posible may naka-alis na,  eh 1,900 yun, at posibleng i-tap natin ang Interpol at saka i-aapply natin yung extradition agreement with other foreign nations,” he told reporters.

The DILG chief however said he has no data yet on those who had already left the country.

Also yesterday, Año lauded the NAPOLCOM for ensuring the highest level of competence, commitment and character expected of a public servant.

“Napakahalagang makita, maramdaman ng taumbayan ang propesyonalismo na taglay ng ating kapulisan hindi lamang sa kanilang pananamit, kagamitan at kaalaman kundi lalung-lalo na sa kanilang pag uugali,” he said.