OPPOSITION Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV is facing another legal headache after the Pasay City Prosecutor’s Office required him to answer the criminal charges filed against him by the group led by Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) commissioner Manuelito Luna and Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) undersecretary Jacinto “Jing” Paras.
Assistant City Prosecutor Reynaldo Ticyado required Trillanes to appear in a hearing set at 1:30 p.m. today and submit his counter-affidavit to charges of inciting sedition and proposal to commit coup d’etat.
Luna and Paras sought the indictment of Trillanes in their complaint filed last month over his “incendiary and hateful speeches against President Duterte after issuance of Proclamation 572 that voided the amnesty granted to him during the previous administration.”
Luna accused the senator of destabilizing the government by allegedly convincing members of the uniformed service and the public to revolt against the Duterte administration.
Last Monday, the Makati RTC Branch 148 denied the DoJ’s motion for issuance of arrest warrant and hold departure order against the opposition senator but at the same time declared Proclamation 572 as valid.
The DoJ said it plans to file a motion for partial reconsideration of the ruling before the RTC.
Ruling on Trillanes
The Integrated Bar of the Philippines hailed the ruling of the Makati regional trial court junking the petition of the Department of Justice for the issuance of a warrant of arrest and hold departure Trillanes.
IBP Executive Vice President Domingo Cayosa said the ruling of Makati RTC Branch 148 Judge Andres Soriano is a welcome development in the case that started with President Duterte revoking the amnesty given to Trillanes.
“We salute the judge of Branch 148 of the Makati RTC with his decision. Ang IBP ay nagpapasalamat na sa wakas nadesiyunan na ang isyung ito,” Cayosa said.
“What is good is that rule of law ang masunod hindi ‘yung salita ng pulitiko o ‘yung gusto ng nasa poder, kung ano ‘yung proseso na nakasaad sa Saligang Batas,” he added.
Cayosa said the IBP hopes that like the decision of Soriano, other courts in the country would also expedite their rulings on the various cases being tried in their sala.
“Sana nga ganito kabilis ang libu-libo pang kaso na naghihintay ng desisyon at katarungan,” he added.
Soriano dismissed the DoJ’s plea as he recognized the final and executory nature of the 2011 ruling rendered by his predecessor, Judge Ma. Rita Bascos-Sarabia, dismissing the coup d’etat case against Trillanes for his involvement in the 2003 Oakwood mutiny.