2 Abu Sayyaf bombers surrender

February 22, 2020

TWO members of Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) involved in a bomb attack in a military checkpoint last year in Basilan surrendered to government forces.

This was confirmed by Brig. Gen. Fernando Reyeg, commander of Joint Task Force Basilan.

Reyeg identified those who surrendered as Suwaib Mungjay alias Black and Nakib Asmad alias Halifa.

The former terrorists submitted themselves to Hadji Mohammad Ajul Chief executive Ibrahim Ballaho at around 11 a.m.

The surrender was facilitated by 19th Special Forces Company commander Captain James Dipdip Jr. and troops  of the 4th Special Forces Battalion.

They also turned over one M1 Carbine with magazine and 5 rounds cartridge of caliber .30 carbine ammunition, one M1911 Caliber .45 pistol with magazine and 4 rounds cartridge of Caliber .45 ball ammunition to the government forces.

“Mungkay and Asmad were involved in the Lamitan bombing on July 31, 2018,” Reyeg  said.

The two underwent custodial debriefing and were turned over to HMA LGU for their inclusion in the government programs for the rebel returnees.

“As I always say, peace is a shared responsibility. I am happy that our partners and stakeholders are always there to support us in our peace campaigns,” Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, commander of the Western Mindanao Command said.

“Through our convergence, we are able to sustain the momentum and attain positive results in our journey towards peace and sustainable development here in the region,” Sobejana added.