26 NPA rebels in Calabarzon yield

October 21, 2019

TWENTY-SIX Dumagat tribesmen who joined the New People’s Army  surrendered to security officials in Quezon and Rizal provinces.

Outgoing Police Regional Office 4-A director Brig. Gen. Edward  Carranza said the 26 yielded after a series of negotiations with members of the PRO4-A Regional Intelligence Division and Regional Mobile Force Batallion and the Army’s 80th and 1st Infantry Battalions.

He said that the 26 were composed of 17 males, with age ranging from 20 to 53, and nine females. The youngest rebel was 17 years old.

The ex-rebels yielded 14 assorted firearms, ammunition and explosives.

Carranza said that the suspects were previously linked to a number of atrocities in Calabarzon, including the burning of heavy equipment in Real, Quezon in September 2018, and last April, and two encounters with government troops in General Nakar, Quezon last May and in July 2018.

“The mass surrender of the NPA rebels was a result of persistent Information Operation efforts of the PNP Calabarzon and the 202nd Brigade of the Philippine Army, in partnership with concerned local government units, member agencies of the Task Force and the community,” the official said.

Carranza said that since the implementation of Executive Order 70, they already have accounted for 97 rebel surrenderers, who also turned over 57 assorted firearms, explosives and various live ammunition to the government.

The former rebels will be temporarily taken to a government halfway house while the Department of the Interior and Local Government is processing documents needed to fully integrate them into the mainstream of the society.

Carranza said that initially, the former NPA members will each receive a P50,000 livelihood assistance and P15,000  immediate cash assistance.

With Gil Aman