Cebu-wide raids net 200 suspects, P2.1M drugs, guns

Debold M. Sinas

A CEBU-wide anti-criminality operation launched from Thursday to Saturday last week resulted in the arrest of over 200 suspected law offenders and the seizure of more than P2 million worth of drugs and illegal guns, Police Regional Office 7 director, Brigadier General Debold M. Sinas announced yesterday.

In a report to Philippine National Police chief, Director General Oscar D. Albayalde, the Central Visayas police commander said that the 3-day conduct of simultaneous ‘One-Time, Big-Time’ operations in the province saw the local police serving two search warrants for illegal drugs and arresting two targets. The local police under Colonel Manny Abrugena also conducted 69 buy-bust operations and served warrants of arrest for violation of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 leading to the arrest of 107 suspects, 90 of them known to be involved in illegal drug trafficking.

Sinas said that recovered during those anti-narcotics operations were 427 pieces of heat-sealed plastic sachets containing a total of 314.11 grams of shabu with a local market value of P2.135 million, seven assorted unlicensed firearms including two caliber .45 pistols and two cal. .357 revolvers.

Another 64 various firearms were also seized for safekeeping by the Cebu police, many of them either surrendered by their registered owners after their licenses and other permits have expired while some were merely abandoned by their holders.  

Sinas said that of those arrested for violation of RA 9165, 103 are known to be ‘street-level drug traffickers.’