ALL police forces nationwide were ordered to be on heightened alert and maintain their vigilance needed to thwart surprise New People’s Army attacks and other atrocities as the the Communist Party of the Philippines marks its founding anniversary on December 26.
According to PNP spokesman, Brigadier General Bernard M. Banac, police need not lower their guards since NPA guerrillas historically are known for launching atrocities during their anniversaries.
“Traditionally, over the past decades and years, ang Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army ay naglulunsad ng mga bagong pag-atake laban sa pwersa ng pamahalaan sa tuwing sumasapit ang kanilang founding anniversary,” he said.
“Itong mga ganitong petsa ay binabantayan din ng PNP at tayo ay may direktiba na sa lahat ng police units natin ang kanilang pagtataas ng alert level nang sa gayon ay ‘di malusutan o maaatake ang police stations,” Banac added.
The NPA, the armed wing of the CPP marked its 50th founding anniversary last March 29 amid its threat to heighten attacks on security forces and other government targets.
National Capital Region Police Office director, Brig. Gen. Debold M. Sinas said that they are keeping a high state of alert to preempt any rebel plan in Metro Manila.
Banac said that the PNP headed by its Officer-in-Charge, Lieutenant Gen. Archie Francisco F. Gamboa is supporting the Duterte government’s move to call for the resumption of peace talks between the administration and the CPP/NPA/NDF.
However, he said that while the peace talks remain in the balance, police will continue its hunt for the remaining rebel leaders who are already the subject of warrants of arrest issued by different courts for different charges including multiple murder, illegal possession of firearms and explosives and rebellion.
“Sumusuporta ang Philippine National Police sa maaaring resumption ng peace talks. Pero hanggang hindi pa iyon ay opisyal na naidedeklara, ‘yun pong lahat ng personalities na may standing warrants of arrest ay patuloy pa rin ang paghahanap natin sa kanila,” Banac said.
The official said they are also awaiting word from the security cluster regarding any plan to declare a ceasefire with the rebels during the Christmas and New Year holidays.
“Sa ngayon, patuloy pa ring pinaguusapan ‘yan sa security cluster at tayo naman ay nakaantabay lamang kung ano ang magiging pahayag,” he said.
Last week, President Duterte ordered Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III to discuss peace talks with self-exiled CPP founding chairman Jose Maria Sison in The Netherlands.
The peace negotiation was halted in November 2017 after Duterte expressed his disappointment over the continuous atrocities of the communist rebels and ordered the PNP and the Armed Forces to put an end to the decades-long communist insurgency problem.