CRIME incidents in Bicol and Socksargen regions have gone down significantly since the strict enforcement of the Enhanced Community Quarantine in the two areas last week, a report to Philippine National Police chief, General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa said yesterday.
Police Regional Office 5 director, Brigadier General Anthony S. Alcañeses, said they have already recorded 84.31 percent crime reduction in the entire Bicol region from March 17 up to yesterday in the wake of a number of strict measures they implemented to help prevent the spread of the deadly COVID-19 virus.
Alcañeses said that from March 17-21 alone, they recorded only 8 crime incidents in the entire region or 84.31 percent reduction from the 51 incidents recorded during the same period in 2019. The 8 crime incidents include 2 rape cases in Albay and Masbate, 1 homicide and 4 physical injury cases in Camarines Sur and a single theft case in Naga City.
Alcañeses said during the period, his men also apprehended 13 individuals for violating the quarantine rule and ignoring orders for them by officers to return home. The 13 were charged for resisting arrest and disobedience to a lawful order from an officer.
The official said he has also ordered the investigation of a policeman in Masbate City who was reportedly under the influence of liquor when he refused to be subjected to quarantine rules being imposed by local barangay officials.
On the other hand, PRO12 director, Brig. Gen. Alfred S. Corpus said that from March 1 to 22, they have recorded 64.29 percent reduction on 8 Focused Crimes in the region or incidents of murder, homicide, robbery, theft, physical injury, motor vehicle and motorcycle theft and rape compared to the same period last year.