Ecija bgy on lockdown due to dead patient from Malabon

JAEN, Nueva Ecija – A barangay named San Roque in this town was placed under preemptive lockdown after a 47-year-old vendor, who died in a Malabon City hospital and whose wake was held for three nights here before his funeral on June 26, Friday, was later confirmed positive of the coronavirus-19 disease.

Municipal Mayor Sylvia Austria already ordered the preemptive lockdown of the whole barangay where the dead vendor's vigil took place to control the spread of the virus.

The Nueva Ecija Inter-Agency Task Force reported that the positive confirmation of the victim's test results from the hospital came an hour before his burial at 4 p.m. here.

It said the patient was from this town but currently lives in Malabon City.

On June 23 or three days prior to his death, the vendor's widow said her husband initially complained of having itchy throat and difficulty in breathing at 1 a.m.

He was then immediately rushed to the San Lorenzo Ruiz General Hospital in Santolan, Malabon for medical treatment but died later at 1:30 a.m.

As a standard protocol, the dead patient was swabbed at the hospital.

The victim's widow claimed that the hospital failed to inform her that her husband was a suspected COVID-19 case that was why on the same day, she brought his remains here and had his body embalmed at the Santy Funeral Homes for the holding of a three-day vigil.

On June 26, or an hour before his burial, she said she got a confirmation from the Malabon Health Center that her husband was COVID-positive.

Gov. Aurelio M. Umali, IATF chair also ordered to immediately conduct initial contact tracing to determine those in close contact with the victim and his family and place them in strict home quarantine to control the spread of the virus.

On Saturday, the NE-Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office, upon orders from the governor, went to the area here on Saturday to conduct cleaning and disinfection activities.

The NE-IATF also said that a relief operation for the affected barangay is set to be scheduled this weekend.