SAN ANTONIO, Nueva Ecija — The San Antonio municipal government placed the entire town under a state of calamity due to the destruction wrought by Typhoon Ulysses last week which already reached almost P22 million, according to initial estimates by the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (LDRRMO) here.
The LDRRMO also reported that the typhoon destroyed the town’s slope protection dike in Bgy. Julo as well as the barangay gymnasium and health center in Bgy. Lawang Kupang. Damage to the dike was placed at P9 million while those of the gym and health center reached P800,000 and P300,000, respectively.
Mayor Arvin C. Salonga yesterday appealed to Public Works and Highways Sec. Mark A. Villar to immediately prioritize the repair and restoration of the damaged dike to mitigate floodings in the area especially during the rainy season.
“Iyung nasira na slope protection dike sa Bgy. Julo, sana ma-repair ASAP at madugtungan pa, dahil malaking tulong ito sa hindi paglubog ng barangay,” said the mayor.
Due to the damage caused by the typhoon, Salonga said the Sangguniang Bayan headed by Vice Mayor Julie Maxwell approved an urgent measure placing the entire town under a state of calamity during a special session held here on Friday.
Salonga is grateful because the town recorded zero casualties. He requested assistance for extra food packs, building materials for the repair of damaged houses, and also financial help from the national government.
“Ongoing pa din ang distribution ng food packs at relief operations para sa mga biktima ng kalamidad,” Salonga told People’s Tonight in a text message yesterday.
According to a post-disaster needs assessment report dated Nov. 15 prepared by LDRRMO officer Remigio B. Catle, the damage to agriculture and crops in the town’s 16 barangays reached P4.4 million while damage to residential property was placed at P7.38-million.
Catle also said a total of 1,320 houses and 143 others were partially-damaged and totally-wrecked by the typhoon, respectively.
At least eight barangays of the town’s total 16 were reported affected by floodings in Barangays Julo, Papaya, Buliran, Sto. Cristo, San Jose, Maugat, Luyos and San Mariano.
Catle said a total of 28,624 individuals belonging to 5,664 families were affected by rising floodwaters ranging from five feet to one foot and have been evacuated to safer grounds.Publication Source : People's Tonight