A COUPLE, their son, and 8-year-old granddaughter yesterday died of suffocation after they were trapped in the comfort room of their burning house in Cabuyao City, Laguna.
Cabuyao City Bureau of Fire Department ground commander Chief Insp. Arlene Balais identified the victims as Baldomero Gayol, 54, an insurance agent; his wife Jennifer, 47; their son Rommel Gayol, 27, and granddaughter Sofia Arabella, 8, of Blk 14, Lot 33, Dalandan St., Millwood Subdivision, Bgy. Pulo, Cabuyao City.
The fire, which was blamed on an unplugged appliance, started at 1:45 a.m. yesterday.
The victims were roused from sleep by extreme heat from the blaze. They ran to the second floor of the house and sought refuge at the bathroom, where they were trapped and suffocated.
Firefighters responded and were able to put out the fire after an hour.
During clearing operations, firemen found the victims’ cellphones on, an indication that the family tried to find their way to safety but to no avail.
Rommel and Sophia covered themselves with a blanket believing it could save them from billowing smoke.
“Wala pong hagdan sa second floor para makarating sa third floor. If there is a way upstairs, baka po maka-survive sana sila,” a neighbor said.
The whole house was secured with grills making it more difficult for the victims to escape from the deadly blaze.
With Celso Lidot