Killer mosquito claims 50 more lives in Calabarzon

Mosquito - Dengue

Dengue death toll climbs to 202

THE death toll from dengue continues to rise and has reached  202 nationwide, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said yesterday.

The NDRRMC reported that 50 more deaths due to dengue were recorded in Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) region.

According to the Disaster and Management Council, there are 13,032 recorded cases of dengue in the region, bringing the total number of cases to 38,804.

Cavite had the highest number of deaths, with 20; followed by Rizal, with 12; seven each from Quezon and Laguna, and four in Batangas.

The deaths were recorded from January 1 to July 13.

Earlier, the NDRRMC reported 25,772 dengue cases in Region 6, 7, 8 and 12.

From the mentioned number of cases, 15,813 were listed in Region 6; a total of 9,594 cases in Region 7; 57 in Region 8, and 308 cases in Region 12.

In Region 6, the NDRRMC listed 90 deaths while 62 deaths were recorded in Region 7.

Cebu had 36 deaths from dengue, 23 in Negros Occidental, 20 in Iloilo, 19 in Bohol, and 15 each in Aklan and Capiz.

CAVITE TO DECLARE STATE OF CALAMITY

Cavite is set to declare a state of calamity due to the increasing  number of dengue cases in the province.

Provincial Board member Kerby Salazar of the 6th district of Cavite filed a resolution seeking to place the entire province under a state of calamity.

The chairman of the Committee on Health, Nutrition and Population proposed the allocation of P4 million for the immediate response to the outbreak.

Records showed that dengue cases in the province was up by 35% compared to the same period last year.

Cavite had a total of 3,605 dengue cases, with 20 deaths recorded since January.

Dasmariñas City had the most number of cases, with 729; followed by Bacoor, with 387.

Local governments of the 16 towns and seven cities have started conducting barangay assemblies and awareness campaign.

According to Salazar, they tapped the assistance of Liga ng mga Barangay Provincial Federation under ex-officio Provincial Board member Paolo Crisostomo for faster coordination with the Provincial Health Office.

Salazar encouraged fellow Caviteños to participate in the clean-up drive and fumigation to ensure the cleanliness in their respective barangays.

DOH DECLARES NATIONAL DENGUE ALERT

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III declared a National Dengue Alert due to the rapidly increasing number of cases observed in several regions.
 
Regions which have exceeded the epidemic threshold are the MIMAROPA (Region 4-B), Western Visayas (Region 6), Central Visayas (Region 7), and Northern Mindanao (Region 10).

The Health chief said the following regions are being monitored after having exceeded the alert threshold — Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, CALABARZON, Bicol, Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Davao, Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, and Cordillera Administrative Region.

In coordination with the NDRRMC through Undersecretary Ricardo Jalad of the Office of Civil Defense, code blue alert was activated. He said the DoH as lead agency, will be convening the NDRRMC Health Cluster.

Duque said dengue cases have been observed to peak every three to four  years. The last peak occurred in 2016. He said given the pattern, the DoH expects an increase in dengue cases this year.

The Health Secretary said early detection and proper case management can prevent deaths caused by the dengue-carrying mosquito.  

Signs and symptoms include severe headache, pain behind the eyes, severe joint and muscle pain, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and skin rashes.

Duque said the most effective way to prevent dengue is the 4S strategy – Search and destroy mosquito breeding places, Self-protective measures like wearing long sleeves and use of insect repellent, Seek early consultation on the first signs and symptoms of the disease, and Say yes to fogging if there is an impending outbreak.

With Dennis Abrina and Lee Ann Ducusin