BOTH the Armed Forces and the Philippine National Police have expressed belief that last Friday’s twin bombings inside a military camp in Indanan, Sulu was the handiwork of local suicide bombers.
“Ang alam lang natin, even the Armed Forces of the Philippines, ay alam ang identity ng mga ito and they are not foreign nationals. Yun ang alam natin. Hindi ito mga foreign nationals and as the AFP had already said, sila ay talagang mga suicide bombers,” said PNP chief, Director General Oscar D. Albayalde.
AFP Western Mindanao Command spokesman, Major Arvin Encinas, said that the first bomber detonated his device when three camp guards attempted to search him while the second managed to get past the guards and detonated his explosive right after the initial blast.
The PNP chief said that if their suspicions were true, it would be the first time that Filipinos were used as ‘suicide bombers.’ As of press time, police and military investigators are still determining the real identities of the two men who were believed to have carried out the suicide bombing.
He also said they are yet to monitor any real terror threat in Metro Manila in the aftermath of last week’s bombing although they are not lowering their guards and have instituted tough security measures that will prevent such possibility.
On Friday night, National Capital Region Police Office director, Major General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar placed the entire Metro Manila police force under full alert in the aftermath of the terror attacks that killed four soldiers and two of the suicide bombers and injured 17 others.
“The National Capital Region Police Office is saddened and sends its deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the recent bombings in the vicinity of a military camp in Tanjung, Indanan, Sulu.
Although there are no threats detected within the National Capital Region but as a proactive means in response to this terror attack, the entire region is now placed under full alert status effective 6PM today. Having this measure would be of great help in deterring unscrupulous individuals in carrying out their illegal or terroristic acts,” said Eleazar.
The official also encouraged the public to maintain their vigilance and report any incident or suspicious person to the nearest police station or thru the NCRPO text hotlines: Globe: 09158888181 and Smart: 09999018181.
Other PNP commanders in Luzon and Visayas were given the discretion by Gen. Albayalde to raise their alert status depending on the prevailing peace and order situation in their areas.