THREE convicts freed thru the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law surrendered to the Cebu City Police Office late this week as the Philippine National Police expressed optimism more of the freed prisoners will heed President Duterte’s call and yield before the 15-day deadline for them to surface is over.
The latest to surrender in Central Visayas is Alejandro Arquillano, a 56-year-old resident of Barangay Southern Poblacion in San Francisco, Cebu who surrendered to the local police around 9:45 a.m. yesterday, said Police Regional Office 7 director, Brigadier General Debold M. Sinas.
Citing a report from Cebu Police Provincial Office director, Colonel Rhoderick Mariano, the PRO7 director said that Arquillano was released from the Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm in Puerto Princesa City in Palawan last August 19 on a release order signed by colony superintendent Geraldo Ano.
A record check showed that Arquillano was sentenced to life in prison on October 4,1991 for rape and attempted rape with homicide. The freed convict had already spent 40 years of his life in jail when freed last August 19, said Sinas.
Sinas said two others surrendered to the Cebu City Police Office last Thursday and Friday.
The first identified as Conrado Cortes, a man who served 28-years at the New Bilibid Prisons after being convicted for robbery with homicide turned himself over to the Cebu City Police Station 4. Sinas said that Cortes, a resident of Mabolo, Cebu City was released from jail last June 7.
Last Friday, the official said that another freed convict identified as Danilo dela Victoria, a 56-year-old resident of UP Compound in Lahug, Cebu City also surrendered to the Cebu City Police Station 4.
A record check showed that dela Victoria, a man who served 30 years at the San Ramon Penal Farm in Zamboanga City after being convicted of parricide, was released on December 14, 2018 after availing of the GCTA.