Camp Siongco, Maguindanao – The Communist Terrorist Group, New People’s Army (CTG/NPA) in Sultan Kudarat suffered another blow as another group of 13 former NPA rebels surrendered to the government and denounced the communist movement in a ceremony held at Headquarters 37th Infantry Battalion, Kalamansig, Sultan Kudarat on the afternoon of June 1, 2021.
The 13 former rebels who are members of the Sub-Regional Command (SRC) – Daguma under Far South Mindanao Region decided to avail of the government’s program by returning to the folds of the law and at the same time turning over six (6) firearms and several war paraphernalia.
Colonel Eduardo Gubat, Commander of the 603rd Infantry Brigade, said that thirteen (13) former rebels surrendered to 37th Infantry Battalion and was received by Maria Socorro Lanto, Municipal Administrator of Kalamansig, Sultan Kudarat. This is in addition to the 21 former NPAs who surrendered to the 57th Infantry Battalion earlier that day (June 1, 2021).
“Their surrender is a huge setback to the mainstream CTG (communist-terrorist group) which is an indication that the stronghold of the communist terrorist group is continuously weakening in Sultan Kudarat. This is due to the resolute efforts of the 603rd Brigade together with Regional TF-ELCAC under Secretary Isidro Lapeña as the Chairperson, Provincial Government of Sultan Kudarat under Governor Suharto Teng Mangudadatu, LGU Kalamansig under Mayor Rolando Garcia, and the community itself to subdue our lost countrymen”, Col. Gubat said.
The new batch surrenderers received immediate cash and livelihood assistance from Governor Suharto Teng T. Mangudadatu of the Province of Sultan Kudarat and from Mayor Rolando Garcia of Kalamansig Municipality. For the meantime they will stay in the halfway house provide by the Province of Sultan Kudarat wherein they will undergo reorientation and processing to be included in the national assistance and livelihood initiatives of the government under the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP).
The recent batch of former rebels increased the number of NPA surrenderer to 73 within the area of jurisdiction of JTF Central since January of 2021, Major General Juvymax Uy, Commander of the JTF Central and 6th Infantry Division revealed, adding that 66 assorted firearms and explosives were also turned over since the start of the year.
“The series of mass surrender of former NPA members are manifestations that their organization is dwindling and in the brink of defeat. Through our intensified collaboration with the Regional Task Force – ELCAC XII, the Provincial and Municipal Government Units of Sultan Kudarat, and the community, we are hopeful to encourage other NPA members still in the mountains to surrender and live normal lives again with their families,” Maj.Gen. Uy said.