PHILIPPINE National Police chief, General Oscar D. Albayalde yesterday said he has ordered an investigation into the reported existence of a vigilante group going after New People’s Army rebels and their supporters in Negros Oriental.
He referred to the so-called Kawsa Guilhunganon Batok Komunista or KAGUBAK which was described as a death squad targeting rebel personalities in the province.
“Personally, first time ko narinig ‘yan pero wala ding report ang ating regional director diyan or even the provincial director on the existence of that alleged death squad. We will investigate that,” the PNP chief said.
During a recent Senate hearing, it was reported that five of the 15 people being targeted by KAGUBAK including lawyer Anthony Trinidad had been killed in different parts of Negros Oriental recently.
Albayalde said he has been informed that c majority of those killed in Negros Oriental had connections with leftist groups.
The PNP chief added that they are looking into the possibility that the rebels have been ‘purging’ their own members but are blaming security forces.
Police Regional Office 7 director, Brigadier General Debold M. Sinas and new Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office director, Colonel Rizalito Gapas, both said the peace and order situation in the province has been slowly returning to normal.
Sinas said that so far, the peace and order situation in the province has been improving.
Gen. Albayalde vowed to help end the communist insurgency try in the wake of President Duterte’s statement that it has to end very soon.
“We will engage them in all their fronts doon sa agriculture, sa labor, even health, even doon sa academe which we started already,” the PNP chief said.
Senators Ronald’ Bato’ M. dela Rosa and Risa Hontiveros called for a thorough probe into the presence of the KAGUBAK in Negros Oriental.
Sen. dela Rosa demanded that the PRO7 account for the 10 living persons supposedly in the hit list and make sure that they will be safe.
Trinidad, whom police said is known for his links with the rebel group, was shot to death by an unidentified gunman last July 23. The death of Trinidad and 20 others in a span of 10 days last July prompted President Duterte to consider using ‘drastic measures’ to end violence in the area.