Quezon has 192 virus carriers, 8 new cases

July 09, 2020

LUCENA CITY--- Despite the prevailing Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ) status, the number of confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continue to rise in Quezon province.

According to Quezon public information office (QPIO) in its 8a.m. bulletin, 8 new cases were recorded by the Integrated Provincial Health Office.

Of the figures, the QPIO said 4 cases are from this city and 1 each from the towns of Candelaria, Pagbilao, Patnanungan and Mulanay.

It did not provide other details.

So far, only 14 out of 39 towns and 2 cities of Quezon remain zero COVID-19.

At present, the province has a total of 192 confirmed cases with 140 recoveries, 11 fatalities and 41 active cases.

In a phone interview, IPHO chief Dr. Grace Santiago said she is not surprised with the increasing number of confirmed cases during this period of MGCQ.

"Actually, this is exactly what I expected to happen as I see the movement of people under MGCQ", said Santiago.

Santiago said failure of most people along streets and public places in practicing health prorocols are much visible lately.

"You can see children below 20, mostly nit wearing face mask,  pregnant women and senior citizens roaming along public places. That is not allowed under GCQ. If you would take a look at the office of Meralco, you can clearly see in front of it that no safe distancing is being implemented to those people paying their bills", Santiago said.

She said many people feel relaxed and become negligent during GCQ and MGCQ period.

The IPHO chief mentioned the case of Cebu which was again placed under Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) from General Community Quarantine (GCQ) due to continuing surge of confirmed cases.

She said Governor Danilo Suarez has scheduled for an emergency meeting with Quezon mayors to discuss the matter and to ask them if they still implement health measures.