Home>News>Nation>Nine Sulu cops in 4 Army soldiers’ killing freed

Nine Sulu cops in 4 Army soldiers’ killing freed

THE nine Sulu policemen ordered dismissed from the service for their involvement in a shooting incident in Jolo, Sulu last June 29 which left four Army intelligence officers dead have been released from Camp Crame custody last week in the absence of a warrant of arrest from the court or the Department of Justice, Philippine National Police chief General Debold M. Sinas reported yesterday.

“Yes, the nine policemen were released and turned over to their relatives and friends last week kasi walang warrant of arrest na na-issue sa kanila. Nag-coordinate kami sa Department of Justice dito, sa lahat at ayaw naman naming ma-charge kami ng arbitrary detention,” the top cop told newsmen at Camp Crame.

Gen. Sinas said that the nine were asked to file their motion of recommendation in connection with the dismissal orders issued against them. Once their dismissal becomes final and executory, the nine won’t be getting any more government benefits excepts for their unused leaves, the PNP chief explained.

Last week, Gen. Sinas approved the dismissal of the nine but ordered concerned officials to make representations with the DOJ to fast track the filing of criminal cases against the nine dismissed policemen.

Makati City Pabakuna

Ordered dismissed from the police force were Senor Master Sergeant Abdelzhimar H. Padjiri, Master Sgt. Hanie U. Baddiri, Staff Sergeants Iskandar I. Susulan and Ernisar P. Sappal, Corporal Sulki M. Andaki and Patrolman Moh Nur E Pasani, all members of the Jolo Municipal Police Station; and Staff Sgt. Almudzrin M. Hadjaruddin and Patrolmen Alkajal J. Mandangan and Rajiv G. Putalan of the Sulu Police Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit.

Gen. Sinas explained that the PNP has informed the DOJ investigating panel that if there will be no warrant of arrest issued against the nine PNP respondents within 10 days upon effectivity of the dismissal orders, the respondents will be turned over to their respective families.

“At most, we can only place them under restrictive custody pending formal indictment on criminal charges. Upon their dismissal from the service, the PNP no longer has jurisdiction over them and as such, has no basis to hold them under restrictive custody any further,” he said.

Publication Source :    People's Journal
Alfred P. Dalizon
Author of the ‘Mamang Pulis’ series and Crame Files | A Journal Group reporter since 1988 and recipient of dozens of national awards from the PNP/DILG/PDEA/DDB/NAPOLCOM and the private sector | Winner of two (2) prestigious Catholic Mass Media Awards (CMMA) for Best Investigative Report | A Finalist for another CMMA Best Investigative Report | A 3-time Journal Group Employee and Top Reporter of the Year