COMMANDOS from the Philippine National Police Special Action Force last Saturday discovered a known New People’s Army encampment in Coron, Palawan where they seized a cache of weapons and other war materials, PNP chief, General Debold M. Sinas announced yesterday.
According to the PNP chief, members of the 101st Special Action Company of the PNP-SAF headed by Major Gen. Bernabe M. Balba, supported by operatives from the Police Regional Office 4-B and the Philippine Army stormed the rebel stronghold in Sitio Lanka, Bgy. Bintuan in Coron at 4 a.m. Saturday.
Rebels manning the site abandoned the area after noticing the arrival of the commandos leaving behind two M-16 automatic rifles, four rifle grenades, magazine assemblies, a bandolier and 184 rounds of live caliber 5.56 ammunition.
“The continuous operations of our troops have resulted to the NPA’s weakened state. The latest confiscation of this cache of high-powered firearms further incapacitates their key operatives,” Sinas said as he commended the PNP-SAF for the series of successful counter-insurgency operations in support to President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order 70 aimed at ending local communist armed conflict in the country.
The PNP chief said the operation stemmed from actionable intelligence gathered by government troops regarding the whereabouts of the NPA’s cache of firearms and war materials in the said area.
The rifles will be subjected to procedural ballistics examination to determine if these had been used in previous crime incidents, Sinas said.Publication Source : People's Tonight