2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp brown rice vinegar
1 stalk scallion(s)
1 Tbsp Ginger Root
1 Tbsp applesauce unsweetened
2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
14 oz Organic Tofu Extra Firm
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp Cilantro
* Drain and squeeze excess liquid from the tofu.
* Whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, scallion, ginger, apple-apricot sauce, sesame oil, and hot pepper flakes in a small bowl. (Makes 1/2 cup.) Pour into a 9- by 13-inch pan or similar-sized dish.
* Cut the tofu lengthwise into 9 slices; then, cut each slice in half lengthwise or crosswise, creating 18 pieces. Place the tofu slices in a single layer in the soy sauce mixture and marinate about 10 to 15 minutes per side.
* Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Transfer each tofu slice to the pan using tongs, reserving the marinade. Grill (in batches) until deep grill marks form on both sides, about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per side.
* Insert reusable or bamboo skewers (patpat) into the cooked tofu, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and cilantro leaves, and serve while warm with the remaining marinade on the side.
* (WITH POULTRY, FISH, OR MEAT) one serving: Use about 12 oz (instead of 14 oz) tofu cut into 15 pieces in step 2. Transfer 1 tbsp + 1 tsp the marinade to a small dish. Add 3 (3/4-oz) pieces of boneless, skinless chicken thigh to the small dish and marinate for about 10-15 minutes per side. Grill until well done after the tofu in step 3. Do not reuse any remaining marinade from the uncooked chicken.
* (WITH POULTRY, FISH, OR MEAT) full recipe: Instead of the tofu, use 18 (3/4-oz) pieces of boneless, skinless chicken thigh and marinate for about 10 to 15 minutes per side. Grill until well done in step 3. Do not reuse any remaining marinade from the uncooked chicken. (The American Diabetes Association)