POPE Francis said he was “saddened” to learn of Archbishop Oscar Cruz’s death and praised his “forthright witness to the Gospel.”
In a message read out at Cruz’s funeral in the Dagupan Cathedral on Friday, the pope sent the assurance of his prayers to the archbishop’s family and to all who mourn his loss.
Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the pontiff also imparted his blessing “as a pledge of consolation and strength in the Risen Lord.”
Cruz, the emeritus of the Lingayen-Dagupan archdiocese, succumbed to complications from the coronavirus disease on Aug.
Meanwhike the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said no new fatalities due to COVID-19 among Filipinos abroad was reported on Saturday.
Five new COVID -19 cases however were reported and 28 new recoveries in Europe and the Middle East. Meanwhile, Three new cases were verified by DOH IHR on Saturday.
Compared to last week’s percentages, the total number of Filipinos who have recovered from COVID-19 increased to almost 61% of the total confirmed cases.
Those who are under treatment decreased slightly to 31.68%. Meanwhile the percentage of fatalities among COVID-19-affected Filipinos abroad saw a slight increase to 7.5%. With Cristina Lee-PiscoPublication Source : People's Tonight