K-pop superstars TOMORROW X TOGETHER join star-packed performers lineup, set to make history with cross-genre performance featuring Anitta
Stay tuned and follow @MTVAsia on socials for more updates on the VMAs!
SINGAPORE (September 5, 2023) – Sean “Diddy” Combs, the legendary hip hop mogul and pioneer, is set to receive the prestigious Global Icon Award and perform at the 2023 “VMAs,” taking place on Tuesday, September 12th at the Prudential Centre. Fans in Southeast Asia can follow @MTVAsia on socials for more updates on the show.
- Diddy will receive the Global Icon Award for his unparalleled career and continued influence that has achieved unrivaled global success in music and beyond.
- Combs, whose worldwide impact has lasted for more than three decades including two #1 albums on the Billboard 200 and five #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 will also make a highly-anticipated return to the iconic MTV stage. This marks his first performance at the “VMAs” since 2005.
- In addition to receiving the Global Icon Award, Diddy is also nominated for 4 other awards this year for his work on “Creepin” (Remix) and “Gotta Move On.” His nominations include 2 for “Best Collaboration,” as well as “Best Rap” and “Best R&B.”
- The Global Icon Award, originally from MTV’s Europe Music Awards (EMAs), celebrates an artist or band whose unparalleled career and continued influence have achieved a unique level of global success in music and beyond. Diddy also hosted MTV Europe Music Award 2002 at the Palazzo Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain.
- Memorable “VMAs” moments:
- Diddy has a storied history with the “VMAs,” with memorable moments dating back to his debut performance of “Mo Money Mo Problems” in 1997.
- He returned to the stage in 2002 to perform a medley of “Bad Boy For Life,” “Pass the Courvoisier (Part 2)” and “I Need A Girl (Parts 1 & 2).”
- In 2005, Diddy hosted the “VMAs” from Miami, leading an orchestra into a performance featuring Snoop Dogg on stage and video performance from the late Notorious B.I.G.
- In his first year as a nominee, Diddy won a Moonman for “Best R&B Video” (1997) and later won the “Viewer’s Choice” award (1998).
- About Diddy:
- Diddy recently announced his highly anticipated R&B masterpiece “The Love Album: Off the Grid” dropping on Diddy Day, September 15th, 2023. Under his LOVE RECORDS imprint, the new album signifies Diddy’s triumphant return since his critically acclaimed solo album “Last Train to Paris” in 2010. It’s not just a return to music, but an evolution and renaissance of his love for the art of storytelling.
- The latest album showcases Diddy’s evolution as both an artist and producer, poised to redefine the boundaries of R&B. This new body of work pushes the genre into new territories while highlighting Diddy’s unparalleled talent for curating exceptional musical experiences. With an extraordinary array of collaborators, united by Diddy, the album is set to captivate audiences worldwide.
- As a cultural icon, innovator, and mogul, Diddy’s influence on the music industry is unrivaled. With an historic catalog of hit records and a track record of shaping the sounds of superstars, he returns to his R&B roots as an Executive Producer and Curator ofThe Love Album: Off the Grid.”
Previously announced “VMAs” news:
- TXT ANNOUNCED AS LATEST ADDITION TO PERFORMERS
- TXT ANNOUNCED AS LATEST ADDITION TO PERFORMERS +
- Global sensation Shakira will receive MTV’s coveted Video Vanguard Award, presented by Toyota, and perform live for the first time since 2006. (more info)
- NOMINATIONS + VOTING:
- With the addition of Social Categories, Taylor Swift (11) still leads Nominations, followed by SZA (8), BLACKPINK, Doja Cat, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Olivia Rodrigo (6), Kim Petras and Sam Smith (5 each), Beyoncé, Diddy, Drake, Ice Spice, Karol G, Metro Boomin, Shakira and TOMORROW X TOGETHER (4 each).
- General fan voting is now closed; voting remains open for Social Categories and “Best New Artist.”
- ADDITIONAL INFO:
- SPONSORS: Official sponsors of the 2023 “VMAs” include BACARDÍ® Rum, Burger King®, Clearblue®, DESCOVY®, Doritos®, HEINZ, M&M’S®, Swiffer, and Toyota Motor North America.
- ACTIVATION: BACARDÍ, MTV and Paramount Brand Studio will pay tribute to 50 Years of Hip Hop with an experiential BACARDÍ VINTAGE Pop-Up Shop, Limited Edition Bottle, Signature VMA Cocktails and more. (more info).
- CREDITS: Bruce Gillmer and Den of Thieves co-founder Jesse Ignjatovic are Executive Producers. Barb Bialkowski is Co-Executive Producer. Alicia Portugal and Jackie Barba serve as Executives in Charge of Production. Wendy Plaut is Executive in Charge of Celebrity Talent. Lisa Lauricella is Music Talent Executive.
- RELEASES: Previous press releases available here.
- CREDENTIALS: Applications are closed; contact [email protected] with questions.
About Paramount Media Networks & MTV Entertainment Studios
Paramount Media Networks & MTV Entertainment Studios is one of the preeminent media entities in the world that connects with global audiences through its iconic brands – MTV, Comedy Central, CMT, PopTV, Logo, Smithsonian Channel, Paramount Network and TV Land – and its Studios arm which produces acclaimed series and movies as well as award-winning documentaries through MTV Documentary Films.
About Prudential Center:
Prudential Center is the world-class sports and entertainment venue located in downtown Newark, New Jersey. Opened in October 2007 and recently celebrating its 15th year as a marquee destination, the state-of-the-art arena is the home of the National Hockey League’s (NHL) three-time Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, Seton Hall University’s NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball program, and more than 210 concerts, family shows and special events each year. Ranked in the Top 5 nationally by Pollstar, Billboard and Venues Today, Prudential Center is recognized as one of the premier venues in the United States, and hosts over 2 million guests annually. For more information about Prudential Center, visit PruCenter.com and follow the arena on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @PruCenter. Prudential Center is a Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment property.