‘tuloy ang laban’

March 16, 2020

AS far as the camp of Filipino fighter Jerwin Ancajas is concerned, his bout against  Mexican Jonathan Javier Rodriguez will be held as scheduled despite the  coronavirus scare engulfing the world.

"Tuloy daw po ang laban," said Ancajas' trainer Joven Jimenez on Sunday in Los Angeles during a break in training by the reigning International Boxing Federation superflyweight champion.

"March 20 kami aalis," Jimenez added.

Ancajas is scheduled to fight Rodriguez on April 11 at the Cosmopolitan Resort and Casino in Las Vegas.

MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons confirmed the fight will push through as per the advice of Top Rank.

“All good so far,” was his message when asked about it.

The 12-round bout marks the first time Ancajas will be fighting under the bright klieg lights of Las Vegas.

The match was initially set last Nov. 2 in California but was cancelled at the last minute after Rodriguez failed to secure his US visa on time.

Ancajas went to defend his title against Miguel Gonzalez of Chile in Mexico last December, scoring a sixth-round stoppage.

The 28-year-old pride of Panabo, Davao Del Norte set up his training camp in Dipolog, and was lucky enough to get the next flight for Manila last Friday, well ahead of the community quarantine for the entire Metro Manila took effect Sunday midnight.

“March 15 nag yung ticket namin, pero nung nagpunta kami para magpa-rebook Friday, na-suwertihan na meron pang bakante kaya nakaalis kami,” said Jimenez.

The champ is now training in seclusion at an undisclosed gym somewhere in Manila.

“Kailangang ingat na ingat at tago na tago,” added Jimenez.