THE Games and Amusement Board (GAB) will enforce its rules on all professional athletes without fear or favor.
This was announced by GAB Chairman Abraham “Baham” Mitra as he confirmed earlier reports mixed martials superstar Mark Striegl was suspended for six months starting Oct. 15
Mitra said the 30-year old Filipino American fighter from Baguio City refused to undergo mandatory drug testing after his Sept. 29 fight against Korean Do Gyeom Lee in their URCC Colossal: World Featherweight championship at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
Striegl, nicknamed Mugen in the MMA circuit, defeated Lee in 2:44 of the first round to capture the URCC featherweight crown before a wildly-cheering home crowd at the Big Dome.
“This is very sad. But the GAB has to do its job to supervise and regulate all professional athletes,” said Mitra in a statement distributed to the officers of the Tabloid Organization in Philippine Sports (TOPS).
“We also warned him that we will revoke his license if he repeats the incident disregarding the GAB rules,” added Mitra, who ws appointed by President Duterte to the government agency tasked to supervisie sports and games last year.
The three-term lawmaker from Palawan, however, lauded Striegl for immediately replying to GAB through his letter of explanation to the three-man GAB Board dated Oct. 2.
“The decision of the GAB is also a stern warning to all professional athletes, be it basketball, boxing, football, golf, MMA, motocross and other sports, that we will not hesitate to enforce the rules wnd regulations governing all professional sports," said Mitra.
“Sabi nga natin, trabaho lang.”
Mitra said GAB representatives are doing their jobs well in reminding all professional athletes about existing rules in sports and that they have to “abide with these rules regardless of their stature.”
Meanwhile, GAB will leave no stone unturned to ensure the success of the coming World Boxing Council (WBC) Women’s Convention scheduled Nov. 17-19 at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC).
No less than WBC Chairman Mauricio Sulaiman informed GAB about the decision to hold the women’s convention to Manila.
The convention was originally scheduled to be held in Culiacan, Mexico.
“Natutuwa po tayo sa tiwalang ibinigay sa atin ng WBC. Isa po itong malaking karangalan para sa ating bansa kaya gagawin natin ang ating magagawa para tiyaking maging matagumpay ang convention,” said Mitra.
The WBC women’s convention will be attended by representatives from different countries from Europe, America and Asia,” explained Mitra.