THE Games and Amusements Board (GAB), headed by Chairman Abraham “Baham” Mitra lauded the triumph of World Boxing Organization super flyweight champion Donnie Nietes.
Nietes,nicknamed “Ahas” by his boxing fans, won the vacant WBO title by split decision over Kazuto Ioka of Japan by split decision ( 118-110,116-112 and 112-116) in their 12-round title fight held at the Wynn Palace in Cotai, Macao last Dec. 31.
The 36-year-old pride of Murcia, Negros, also earned the distinction as only the third Filpino to become a four-division world boxing champion.
Mitra said the success of Nietes once again proved the Filipinos’ prowess in boxing.
“We congratulate Donnie (NIetes) for winning theWBO super flyweight title and bringing more honors to the country,” said Mitra in a statement distributed to the Tabloid Organization in Philippine Sports (TOPS).
“Winning a fourth title is really very difficult, but Nietes has shown that he can do it. We are really proud of him,” added Mitra.
Mitra said the entire GAB family, including Commissioners Eduard Trinidad and Mar Masanguid, is very happy a bout this newest triumph of Nietes.
“Lahat kami dito sa GAB ay masaya dahil sa tagumpay na ito ng kapwa natin Pilipino na si Nietes,” added Mitra, whose government sports agency successfully hosted the recent World Boxing Council (WBC) Convention at the Philippine International Convention Center late last year.
Nietes, who earlier failed to capture the WBO title after he was held to a draw by compatriot Aston Palicte last September, improved his record to 42-1-5,
LastFebruary, Nietes knocked out Juan Carlos Reveco to successfully defend his IBF flyweight crown before deciding to move up to super flyweight a month later.
Nietes joins Sen. Manny Pacquaio and Nonito Donaire as Filipino champions who held four different titles in four different weight categories.
Aside from the WBO super flyweight crown,Nietes also won the world minimumweight championship, WBO world light flyweight Champion, and IBF world flyweight championship.
Meanwhile, GAB is still waiting for the results of the investigations of the World Boxing Council (WBC) on the case of Filipino boxing champion Mark John Yap.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has already assured that the boxing body wil look into the case of Yap, who was was “unfairly stripped of his Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation (OPBF) crown.”
Sulaiman directed WBC chief legal counsel, Alberto Leon to handle the investigation .
“I kindly ask you to please take a calm stance and allow the normal procedure to unfold,” said Sulaiman.