TWENTY teams have already confirmed their participation in the first-ever Professional Chess Association of the Philippines (PCAP) tournament scheduled on Jan. 16.
PCAP founder-commissioner Atty. Paul Elauria said the teams have already started their preparations for the inaugural team tournament, including listing their prospective draft picks in the coming PCAP Draft on Dec. 12.
“We’re looking at 30 teams for our inaugural PCAP tournament. Right now, there are already 20 teams which have confirmed their participation and paid their franchise fees,” said Elauria.
“We’re talking to at least 10 more teams to finalize the line-up before holding our second qualifying tournament/tryouts on Nov. 14,” added Elauria.
Among the confirmed teams and their respective offiials are:
1. Surigao (Engr. Rey Urbiztondo).
2. Olongapo City (sponsored by Asia Int’l Auctioneer, managed by Dr. Gefer Imbuido and Joel Pineda).
3. Bicol/Camarines – owned by Buenaviel Construction and Project Management.
4. Isabela (owned by Atty. Amos Alejandro and managed by Charlie Tagoc.
5. Negros (management group led by by Atty. Jason Bandal and Martin Olendo.
6. Team Rizal (owned by Ed Madrid and Batch Rizal Towers.
7. Iloilo (owned by Leo Sotaridona with Gil Libutaque as team manager and Hubert Canto as assistant team manager.
8. Mindoro Golden Tamaraws (owned by Mayor Elgin Malaluan).
9. San Juan
10. Cagayan Valley
The PCAP schedule of activities:
November 14 — Second qualifying tournament/tryouts.
November 20 — Deadline of players application
November 21 — Teams’ drawing of lots
November 28 — Mock Draft
December 12 — First PCAP Draft Day
Nov 21 to Dec 11 – Teams discussion with prospective players (Terms of contract)
December 13- January 8, 2021 – GAB Licensing
January 16, 2021 –Start of season.
PCAP is sanctioned by the Games and Amusements Board (GAB), headed by Chaiman Abraham “Baham” Mitra.