PSC reduces athletes' allowances due to health crisis

Ramirez
Ramirez

THE  allowances of national athletes and coaches will be reduced by 50 percent effective June 1.

This was announced by the Phillippine Sports Commission (PSC) following several discussions as a result of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

"With much regret and after several discussions within the board and senior officers of the agency, a 50 percent reduction on allowances of athletes and coaches shall be effected starting June 1," said PSC Chairman William "Butch" Ramirez in a statement.

"This is a hard decision to make, but one that needed to be done so we can continue caring for our athletes longer,” explained Ramirez.

The top sports official said the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF), from which these allowances are taken, have "considerably diminished because of the health crisis we are now experiencing."

This action was taken in order to sustain the granting of allowances until December 2020.

Ramirez, however, assured that once the NSDF reaches a comfortable level again, allowances will be restored to the present rate.

It would be recalled that as a means to cut back on expenses and reserve the remaining resources to continue its commitment to providing the allowances of athletes and coaches, the  PSC discontinued contracts of sports coordinators, consultants, and JO staff last month.