Valenzuela City celebrates the culmination of the first WES Olympics 2022 with a closing ceremony filled with a spectacular music festival at WES Arena, Barangay Punturin, August 11.
Dubbed as WES Olympics, the first ever sports tournament in the City joined by Sangguniang Kabataan of 33 barangays aims to bring out the best in youth, as well as to promote sportsmanship, camaraderie, and friendship among the players and barangays.
After almost two months of competition, the WES Olympics 2022 concluded with an awarding ceremony to the top athletes and teams that made it to the championship in each sports discipline, such as Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, Darts, Billiards, Table Tennis, and Chess.
Trophies and cash prizes were personally handed to the champions and special awards winners by Mayor WES Gatchalian and City Sports Coordinator, PBA Legend, and former Councilor Gerry Esplana.
City Mayor WES, the brainchild of the event, formally concluded the WES Olympics 2022 and acknowledged all who actively participated in the sporting activity which was the first of its kind in the City, “Nagpapasalamat ako sa lahat ng lumahok na mga kabataan at barangay, lahat ng referees at committee. I hope na itong Olympics natin ay maging memorable sa lahat ng mga atletang Valenzuelano. Sana po nakadala ito ng kasiyahan sa lahat sa inyo at sa darating po na taon mapaghandaan natin ang susunod na Olympics. At this juncture, I am formally closing the WES Olympics 2022.” (I thank all the participating youth and barangays, all the referees and committee. I hope that this Olympics of ours will be memorable for all Valenzuelano athletes. I hope it brought happiness to all of you and that in the coming year we can prepare for the next Olympics. At this juncture, I am formally closing the WES Olympics 2022.)
Joining Mayor WES were Vice Mayor Lorie Natividad-Borja, City Councilors Niña Lopez, Chiqui Carreon, Louie Nolasco, Gerald Galang, Marlon Alejandrino, SK Federation President, Councilor Goyong Serrano, and Liga ng Mga Barangay President Councilor JonJon Bartolome.
The closing ceremony then wrapped up with a spectacular music event of the Philippines’ top music artists namely Moira, Ez Mil, Nobita, and Heart Salvador.
The Roll of Awardees
Overall Champion – Barangay Marulas
Darts – Dominique Lopez (Malinta)
Billiards – Joshua Salalila (Gen. T de leon)
Badminton Women’s Singles – Juliana Romero (Paso de Blas)
Badminton Men’s Singles – Arjay Paduada (Pulo)
Badminton Mixed Doubles – John Oliver De Guzman, April Joy Yepcengco (Gen. T de leon)
Chess Women’s Singles – Angeline Chey Grande (Marulas)
Chess Men’s Doubles – Daniel Mondares, Jethro Cedric Gicalao (Coloong)
Chess Men’s Top College – Gio Sabinay
Top High School- Jason Gabrielle Lim
Basketball – Barangay Malinta Basketball Team
- Season MVP- Mac Caballero- Malinta
- Finals MVP- John Lester Gagnao- Malinta
- The Mythical 5:
- John Roy Calisnao – Ugong
- Jameson Hiro- Parada
- Jai Esplana- Malinta
- Jeremmie Gayatin- Malinta
- Mac Caballero- Malinta
Women’s Volleyball – Barangay Isla Volleyball Team
- Season MVP- Mary Ann Pardales- Isla
- Finals MVP- Jazmine Morelos- Isla
- Best Setter- Jessica Estrella- Tagalag
- Best 1st Open Spiker- Mary Ann Pardales- Isla
- Best 2nd Open Spiker- Ghie Ane Macabalitao- Tagalag
- Best 1st Middle Blocker- Vianca Fortuna- Lingunan
- Best 2nd Middle Blocker- Maui Bernardo- Lingunan
- Best Opposite Spiker- Jolie Nichole Aquino- Ugong
- Best Libero- Andhrea Angeles- Ugong
Men’s Volleyball – Barangay Marulas Volleyball Team
- Season MVP- Tmac De Jesus- Marulas
- Finals MVP- Wency Santos- Marulas
- Best Setter- Dominic Castaneda- Marulas
- Best 1st Open Spiker- Jabriel San Diego- Lingunan
- Best 2nd Open Spiker- John Reeves Recla- T. De Leon
- Best 1st Middle Blocker- James San Diego-Lingunan
- Best 2nd Middle Blocker- Oliver Magbutay- Gen. T. De Leon
- Best Opposite Spiker- Ryan Gabriel Guanzon- Mapulang Lupa
- Best Libero- Rhanielle Martinez- Gen. T. De Leon