Depending upon how long you have been using Instagram, you may have seen a lot of changes over the years. Since Instagram has grown so feature-rich, and people have amassed so many friends, it’s challenging to have personal interactions.
Now, there is a feature called “Instagram Close Friends” that can be utilized by Instagram users. This Stories curation feature was rolled out in 2018, and it allows you to engage with your close friends and family, circumventing the hustle and bustle of the app.
The following will discuss things you need to know about Instagram Close Friends, so you can utilize it as you like.
What is Instagram Close Friends?
This is a feature that lets you initiate a subsection of people who follow you that you can give permission to view your private stories. So, when you post an Instagram Story, you can choose the Close Friends list, so that only people you have placed on this list will see it.
Instagram isn’t going to select your Close Friends, you are. You will manually add or remove people for your personalized Close Friends list.
You will also find a green circle around your Close Friends circle instead of the pink circle. That is how you will know they are in that list.
You also need to know that if you decide to remove someone from the Close Friends list, they will not be notified.
How do you use the Instagram Close Friends feature?
Here are the steps for creating your own Instagram Close Friends list:
- Open your Instagram app.
- Tap on your profile icon in the bottom, right of your device’s screen.
- Tap the three horizontal lines located at the top, right of the page.
- Choose Close Friends.
- Now, scroll down through your followers and choose ‘Add’ on those you want to add to your Close Friends list.
How do you remove people from the list?
Here are the steps to remove people from your Close Friends list
- With your Instagram app open, go to your profile page (tap your profile picture found at the bottom, right of your screen.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines found at the top, right of your page.
- Choose Close Friends.
- Tap Add or Remove to the users you want to add or remove.
How do you post an Instagram Story for only your Close Friends list?
Once you have who you do want on your Instagram Close Friends list, you can post a Story to them only.
- With your Instagram app open, tap on the Story Camera button located at the top left of your screen.
- Create and/or upload your Instagram Story.
- Pick the Close Friends selection found at the bottom of the screen.
Viola! You have now shared a Story to only your Close Friends on Instagram.
Anyone who is not on your Close Friends list will not see your Story, while your Close Friends who can view it will see it label as Close Friends.
How do you message your Close Friends on Instagram?
Besides being able to post Stories to your specific Close Friends list, or another small group of your followers on Instagram, you can also send them messages. How can you do that?
You will be using Threads by Instagram to send them messages. Threads by Instagram is an app all its own and is free to download to your device. This separate app from Instagram gives you access to your Close Friends list via direct messages and status updates.
Here is how to use Threads by Instagram to message your Close Friends list:
- Make sure the Threads by Instagram app is open.
- Log in to the app using your Instagram profile data.
- You can either use the current Close Friends list you created on Instagram, or you can add even more people by scrolling down to find and add them.
- Tap Continue.
- Upload or take a picture.
- Choose the account where you want to send the message.
- Tap Send.
Going through the separate Threads by Instagram app will let you send that direct message to your selected group. You can view and respond via that app or inside of Instagram from your Direct Messages inbox.
Instagram Close Friends is a simple and easy-to-use feature. It’s ideal for maintaining close relationships on Instagram by sharing content intended only for them. You should have enough information in this article to get started using this feature, if you haven’t already.