PH gov’t to shoulder hospital costs vs nCoV

February 09, 2020
The Philippine government assured all persons undergoing the prescribed 14-day quarantine period for the 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (2019-nCoV ARD) that they will not be spending a single centavo for hospital costs.

Duterte order to scrap VFA not fake news

February 09, 2020
Malacañang on Saturday maintained that there is an official order from President Rodrigo R. Duterte to send a formal notice to the United States (US) about the Philippines’ termination of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA).

Lawmakers prodded on DDR okay

February 09, 2020
TINGOG Party-list Rep. Yedda Marie K. Romualdez has appealed to congressmen and senators to fast-track the passage of the proposed Department of Disaster Resilience (DDR), saying further delay in its enactment would be detrimental to the country.

Save VFA

February 09, 2020

Pacquiao pushes for review, not termination, of Visiting Forces Agreement with US.

DESPITE Malacañang’s announcement that President Rodrigo Duterte has already ordered the Department of F

China virus deaths surge

February 08, 2020
BEIJING — The death toll from China’s coronavirus outbreak soared to 722 on Saturday, including the first foreign victim, as Hong Kong imposed a mandatory quarantine on mainland arrivals to block the spread of an epidemic that has caused global panic.

Island quarantine for China repatriates urged

February 08, 2020
A VETERAN solon is proposing either Caballo Island or Corregidor Island as the quarantine place for returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). Manila Rep. Manny Lopez made this proposal following reports that local officials of the Capas, Tarlac objected to the use of sports facilities in New Clark City for quarantine. Lopez, chairman of the House Committee on Metro Manila Development, filed a resolution recommending to the national government the use of these two islands which are just off Manila Bay. Earlier, Health Secretary Francisco Duque said the local officials of Capas refused to house the OFWs to be repatriated from China for fear of possible spread of the virus. In fact the town officials have adopted a resolution opposing the health department’s plan saying the place is not designed as a quarantine station in this kind of public health emergency situation. Lopez said in this type of situation it is best to utilize the island for the safety of all the people. “Caballo Island or Corregidor Island is safer and more practical because they are isolated from the cities. We can better prevent the possibility of the NCoV spreading to nearby communities,” Lopez explained. He also recalled that Caballo Island had been used as quarantine site in 2014 for members of the Philippine peacekeeping contingent after their assignment in Ebola-stricken Liberia. “It has already been proven as an effective site for quarantine before, so why not use it again now?” he suggested.

BI turns away 36 Chinese from Macau

February 08, 2020
BUREAU of Immigration (BI) officers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) on Friday barred from entering the country 36 Chinese nationals who came from Macau, which is covered by the travel ban imposed over the 2019 novel coronavirus (nCoV) acute respiratory disease outbreak.

Bill bolsters cybercrime shield for women, kids

February 08, 2020
The E-VAWC Act not only expands the definition of violence against women and their children, but also increases the penalties for this. Violators stand to face jail time of 6-12 years, otherwise known as prision mayor, and a fine between P300,000 to P500,000. Previously, the fine faced by violators was only P100,000 to P300,000.