Convicted Korean swindler nabbed by Bureau of Immigration operatives

December 09, 2018

THE Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced that a convicted Korean swindler was arrested recently in Pampanga, more than a year after he fled to the Philippines to evade serving his jail sentence.

In a report to BI Commissioner Jaime Morente, the victim was identified as 48-year-old Chong Won Sok who was arrested Nov. 27 inside the Clark Freeport Zone in Angeles City by operatives from the BI Fugitive Search Unit (FSU) headed by Bobby Raquepo.

Chong was arrested on the strength of a warrant which BI issued pursuant to a summary deportation order that the BI Board of Commissioners issued against the Korean for being an undesirable and undocumented alien.

Raquepo, who himself led the arresting team, said Chong had hidden in the country since March last year while the fraud charges against him were being investigated by prosecutors.

Last May 29, a Korean court sentenced him to one year in prison and he became the subject of an Interpol red notice after authorities learned that he had fled to the Philippines, Raquepo added.

Information from Korean authorities also said Chong was convicted for swindling nearly 35 million won from a compatriot in August 2016 by making his victim believe that he could work out a 2.2 billion loan for the latter’s housing construction project.

However, instead of securing the promised loan, the suspect absconded with the victim’s money and fled Korea to evade the criminal complaint lodged against him.

It was also learned that Chong was previously convicted and had served time in jail on other fraud charges in 2010 and 2013. He was immediately transferred to the BI Detention Center in Bicutan pending his deportation.

Chong will be included in the bureau’s blacklist to make sure that he does not return to the Philippines. He has been illegally staying here due to cancellation of his passport by the Korean government.