Romualdez couple mourns solon’s death

Marissa Mercado Andaya
The late Camarines Sur Rep. Marissa Mercado Andaya has been described by her husband, former House Majority Leader (Rolando) Nonoy Andaya, as a “wonderful woman with a generous spirit and compassionateheart who was devoted to her family, her faith, her oath, and her fellowmen.”

HOUSE Majority Leader and Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez and Tingog party-list Rep. Yedda Marie Romualdez on Monday expressed their profound condolences to the family of Camarines Sur Rep. Marissa Mercado Andaya who died of cancer last Sunday.

“We extend our condolences and sympathies to the bereaved family of our colleague, Camarines Sur Rep. Marissa Mercado Andaya,” the Romualdez couple said.

“We wish that the outpouring of love and support will somehow bring consolation, strength and peace to former House Majority Leader (Rolando) Nonoy Andaya Jr. and his family during this painful time.

We know that no words can remove the sorrow in this very sad moment and we weep the agony of such loss. She will be included in our prayers and may God give her eternal rest,” the Romualdezes added.

Anakalusugan party-list Rep. Mike Defensor credited Marissa Andaya for being a hard worker who attended congressional duties despite her sickness.

“I never knew you were still sick. You never told us. You kept on working even during the late session hours. Still you continued to smile, albeit the pain. We shared jokes and laughters. Rest now Marissa Mercado Andaya.

Thank you for the laughters and the friendship,” Defensor said in his Facebook post.

In a Facebook post Sunday night, Nonoy Andaya announced the passing of his wife who left behind two children, Rolando M. Andaya IV and Katrina Isabella M. Andaya.

“The love of my life has passed on to eternal life,” said Andaya. “Her people lost their leader, our children their caring mother, and I, my best friend.”

“Marissa was a cancer warrior, staving off the ravages of that cruel disease for seven years,” said Nonoy Andaya on her wife who continued performing constituents’ duties during the lockdown until her demise.

“She reluctantly returned to Manila on the first week of June for her scheduled medical check-up. It was there that we learned that her nemesis has returned with a vengeance,” said Andaya.

“Tonight, surrounded by her loved ones, her beautiful heart gave up.”

“I am blessed to have spent half of my life – twenty-five happy years – with this wonderful woman with a generous spirit and compassionate heart who was devoted to her family, her faith, her oath, and her fellowmen,” said Andaya. “We ask our friends to give us space in the meantime to grieve in private. Funeral details will be announced soon.”