MNLF Zambo presence denied

October 30, 2019

THE Police Regional Office 9 yesterday denied having monitored the presence of armed Moro National Liberation Front rebels massing in some parts of Zamboanga City and who were allegedly plotting to lay siege on the city anew.

“We deny the presence of MNLF in areas like Rio-Hondo, Mariki, Sta. Barbara, Sta. Catalina and Bugguck and no presence of MNLF or any stranger was found,” said PRO9 director, Brigadier Gen. Froilan F. Quidilla said.

The official said that members of the Task Force Zamboanga around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday conducted house-to-house visit in Kasanyangan, Bugguck and Sta. Catalina and Zamboanga City Polic Office director, Colonel Thomas Joseph Martir and his men likewise visited Rio Hondo and Mariki areas and found no sight of any MNLF rebels or even strangers.

Martir confirmed that the request for permit of an MNLF group to hold a forum in Zamboanga City has been denied by local authorities following verification from the Office of the Presidential Peace Process and the Department of Interior and Local Government that the said meeting is not sanctioned by either offices.

“A follow-up call was made to the permit applicant, Muksan Taguid-id,  and he stated that they respect the decision of the city government and forgo any activity sought to be conducted,” said the official.  

“We urge people not to panic due to unverified information. Let the authorities handle them and wait for further advice for proper action,” he added.

The PRO9 and the Armed Forces of the Philippines Southern Command have called on the local populace and all their barangay intelligence network and ‘force multipliers’ to maintain their vigilance in reporting the presence of unidentified men in their neighborhood.

On September 9, 2013, an MNLF faction known as the Rogue MNLF Elements under the Sulu State Revolutionary Command led by Ustadz Habier Malik and Khiad Ajibon attempted to raise the flag of the self-proclaimed  Bangsamoro Republik at Zamboanga City and declared their independence.

Security troops moved to free civilians taken hostage by the group triggering clashes for days which caused the displacement of more than 100,000 people, the occupation of several barangays by the MNLF, the closure of the Zamboanga City International Airport and the death of over 200 persons including many of the gunmen and the wounding of nearly 300 others.

The government declared the siege as over 19 days later.